Mid-Week Meal (kinda): Caffe Latte Mince Pies
Plant-based food blogger Amy Lanza gives us a vegan-friendly twist on the classic Christmas treat
For the pastry:
For the filling:
1. First make the filling. Add the mixed dried fruits, vanilla, cinnamon, mixed spice, coffee/espresso and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer over a gentle heat with a lid on for 10 minutes until plump and juicy. Stir in the ground almonds. Leave to one side.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease 12–15 small cupcake holes with coconut oil or vegan butter/margarine.
3. To make the pastry, stir together the ground chia or flaxseeds and water and leave to one side to form a gel. Blitz the Caffe Latte oats to a fine flour and add to a bowl with the ground almonds, flour and salt. Stir in the melted coconut oil or vegan butter/margarine, plant-based milk and chia seed gel. Bring to a dough.
4. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to n1/5 cm thick. Cut out 12 bases and 12 star or regular tops – you may need to re-roll the scraps of pastry and continue to make up to 15 pies.
5. Gently place each round base into the greased cupcake holes, fill with 1 heaped teaspoon of mincemeat and press on the star top. Brush the tops lightly with melted coconut oil/vegan butter/margarine and bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and crisping on top.
6. Allow to cool and lift gently out of the tins. Serve dusted with icing sugar.\
Recipes devised for The Protein Ball Co. and The Great British Porridge Co. by Amy Lanza @nourishing.amy
As part of her 7-day meal planning series, HLN’s Dotty shows us how to spruce up the old chicken dinner (and thankfully it involves cauliflower cheese) ...Read more