Cook with HLN: Cinnamon Dusted Shortbread
Using just three ingredients, simple shortbread is so easy to make. These ones are dusted with cinnamon and laced with orange zest for a really Christmassy feel!
By Dorothy Miles
Cinnamon Dusted Shortbread
Everyone should have an easy shortbread recipe in their baking repertoire. Using just three ingredients, simple shortbread is so easy to make. These ones are dusted with cinnamon and laced with orange zest for a really Christmassy feel!
Makes approx. 20 biscuits
75g caster sugar
175g plain flour
zest 1 orange
1 ½ tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 140 fan 160 gas 4
2) Cream the butter and sugar. Fold in the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the zest.
3) Use your hand to bring the mixture together to form a dough. Tip out and then knead until smooth.
4) Lightly flour the work surface and then roll out the dough to about 5mm thickness. Use Christmas cookie cutter shapes or a circular cutter to cut the biscuits. Once you’ve cut the first round, scrunch the dough back together again and re-roll it to cut the second round of biscuits. Repeat as necessary.
5) Transfer all the cut biscuits to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
6) Bake 15-20 minutes until just set and lightly golden.
7) Whilst they bake, mix ½ tsp ground cinnamon and 1 ½ tbsp caster sugar in a small bowl. When the biscuits come out of the oven, sprinkle the cinnamon-laced sugar evenly across all the biscuits immediately.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, store in an airtight container for up to a week.