Mid-Week Menu – Crispy Salmon Tacos
Conjure up this easy and flavourful midweek meal.
- 400g fresh salmon (with skin off)
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75g breadcrumbs
- 8 corn tortillas
For the naked slaw:
- 1 small fennel, finely shredded
- 50g red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Juice of a lime
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce:
- 3 gherkins, roughly chopped (we recommend Opies Cocktail Gherkins)
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 10g freshly chopped coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C.
- Take the salmon and cut it into strips. Ideally, you need two per taco, so 16 strips of salmon.
- Place the flour in one bowl, egg in another and breadcrumbs in another. Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning over the salmon, making sure each strip has a little seasoning on it. Roll each strip in flour, then in the egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry the salmon in some hot oil for about 3 minutes. Or if you’d prefer to bake it, place the breaded salmon on an oiled tray and cook for about 10 minutes, turning halfway through.
- To make the naked slaw, toss the shredded vegetables together with the sesame oil, lime juice, fish sauce and olive oil, then leave to one side.
- For the sauce, whiz the ingredients with a hand blender until smooth.
- To serve, place some of the naked slaw into a corn tortilla, top with a couple of salmon strips and finish with the sauce and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!