Comforting jumbo sausage rolls
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 350g sausage meat
- 50g pickled walnuts, drained and chopped finely, (we’d recommend Opies)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 320g pre-rolled sheet puff pastry
- 50g caramelised red onion chutney
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black onion (nigella) seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C
- In a large bowl, mix together the sausage meat, pickled walnuts, and sage.
- Unroll the sheet of pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Divide equally, measuring across the shortest edge, into three rectangles 23cm x 12cm (approximately).
- Spread a third of the chutney onto each pastry rectangle. Divide the sausage meat into three, then roll each into a long sausage and place on top of the chutney.
- Brush the long edge of the pastry with egg, fold over the top and press the cut edges together at the side of the roll. Repeat until all three are made.
- Brush rolls with egg and top with the seeds, cut each one in half and slash the tops with a sharp knife.
- Place on a lined tray and bake in the oven at 190°C for 20-25 minutes, until risen and golden.