Turmeric, Thyme & Tomato with Red Onion Vegan Quiche
This stunning showstopper of a tart doubles up as a nutritional powerhouse of a main course.
For the base:
- 200gbuckwheat flour
- 100ghazelnuts, ground
- 40gsesame seeds
- 100gcoconut oil, melted
- 1/2cup gram flour
- 1 tbsp sweetener
- 1/2cup water
- 1grind sea salt
For the filling:
- 1block firm tofu (396g net weight, drained)
- 1cup gram flour
- 1cup water
- 5tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2tsp kala namak salt (optional)
- 1clove garlic, peeled
For the topping:
- A selection of your choice of tomatoes – enough to cover the surface of the quiche
- 2red onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
For the base
- Process the hazelnuts to a fine crumb texture in a food processor. You could sub the hazelnuts for almonds or ground almonds.
- Pour the ground hazelnuts into a large bowl and add the buckwheat flour, oats, sesame seeds, gram flour and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil gently in a pan and add the sweetener. Gradually pour the melted mixture over the flour mixture and work quickly with a spoon to mix until you reach a crumb-like texture and no dry flour remains. Scrape down the sides of the bowl until all ingredients are combined.
- Now, add the water and continue to stir and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into the flan baking dish.
- Press the mixture flat and up the sides of the dish until evenly spread. Smooth out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake the base blind (without the filling) in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven ready for the filling.
- While the base is baking in the oven, wash out the food processor jug (if used from the hazelnuts). Add the drained tofu, gram flour, mustard, nutritional yeast flakes, kala namak salt (if using), garlic and 1 cup of water. Process until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the base and smooth out using the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Top with the sliced red onion and tomatoes, ensuring the topping is generous to provide maximum flavour per slice!
- Bake in the oven for a further 20-25mins until baked through and turning golden.
- Remove from the oven and add sprigs of fresh thyme, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a scattering of sesame seeds before serving.