Ultimate leftover sandwich
Perfect for lighter bites and salads and ready in 15 minutes
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 4 slices of leftover roast meat – this can be beef, pork or lamb
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 8 gherkins, sliced in half (we recommend Opies Cocktail Gherkins)
- 2 squeezes of American mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Thinly sliced red onions
- Handful of fresh spinach
- 50g butter, softened
- 1tsp olive oil
- Begin with two slices of the bread. Spread with a generous amount of American mustard, top with the spinach, red onions, leftover roast meat then the Swiss cheese and gherkins.
- Spread a little mayonnaise over the two other slices of bread and sandwich together.
- Take a frying pan big enough to fit the two sandwiches in comfortably. Add ½ the butter and olive oil and cook until golden and crunchy, flip over and add the last of the butter and cook until golden and crunchy.
- Serve the sandwiches straight away with extra mustard and mayonnaise.
Recipe credit: Opies