Healthy nachos: Chilli beef & chips
A healthier version of our favourite Mexican snack.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- Dried chilli flakes to taste
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g cooked beef brisket, shredded
- 205g can kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 50g cooked sweetcorn
- 90g lightly salted tortilla chips
- 50g cheddar cheese
- Avocado, tomato and coriander salsa and crisp salad leaves to serve
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry 2 tablespoons of the spring onions with the garlic and chilli for 2–3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, cover, reduce the heat to low and leave the vegetables to cook in their own juices for 10 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the beef, kidney beans in sauce, sweetcorn and about 75ml water. Mix well, bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until thoroughly heated.
- Preheat the grill to medium–hot. Put half the tortilla chips in an ovenproof dish and spoon over half the sauce. Top with the remaining chips and sauce and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Place under the grill and cook for 4–5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the remaining spring onions, an avocado, tomato and coriander salsa and crisp salad leaves.
Recipe credit: More Taste & Less Waste cookbook (www.dairydiary.co.uk)