6 reasons to visit The Biscuit Factory this Christmas
From late-night Christmas shopping events to seasonal afternoon tea on their rooftop terrace, Ouseburn’s independent art gallery promises to give you your festive fix.
1. ENJOY SOME LATE-NIGHT CHRISTMAS SHOPPING
When: 5pm-8pm, Friday 19th November
Offering an exclusive opportunity to shop their brand new (and fantastically festive) ranges before anyone else, The Biscuit Factory are throwing open their doors after-hours for a special, superbly seasonal Christmas Shopping event.
From 5pm–8pm on Friday 19th November, enjoy some festive music and complimentary refreshments (we spy a mince pie!), choose from a stunning range of beautifully-crafted, handmade gifts for your nearest and dearest, and discover new and classic literary titles with the one and only Forum Books. All this under one roof – which may be handy, thinking about our usual winter weather.
RSVP to email@example.com to secure your place!
2. SEE THE MASTERS AT WORK WITH OUSEBURN OPEN STUDIOS
When: 27th – 28th November
Returning after a pandemic-enforced hiatus due to popular demand, Ouseburn opens the doors to its eclectic range of art studios once again.
The weekend sees creatives across the Ouseburn open their studios to the public, so we can meet, chat and buy directly from the talented community of artisans, makers and creatives that surround us here in Newcastle.
At The Biscuit Factory, we can
- Explore their artist studios
- Watch headline artist Anthony Marshall paint live at the easel to find out a little more about his creative process.
- Meet Caroline and Roisin from Verde Flowers, who grow seasonal, sustainable flowers in a walled garden near Durham. They’ll be taking orders for handmade festive wreaths and selling gift vouchers for Spring Gather-and-Create flower workshops.
- The Light Up North crew will take up residence and illuminate Artisan for a day – go along and find out how they make their pieces live. Have an idea yourself? Let them know and they can translate your dream into your very own neon original.
- Forum Books bring back Blind Date Books – where the latest titles from the bestseller list rub shoulders with hand-selected titles from indie publishers. There’ll be plenty of signed copies too, for that extra special touch.
- Live painting also comes from Michael St Clair, as well as a chance to peek inside his sketchbooks and discover how he takes an initial idea and turns it into a masterpiece.
- Meet more of the lovely folk behind a handful of the independent businesses The Biscuit Factory work with day in, day out.
It’s a perfect weekend to feel those festive vibes and to shop independent and local.
Plus, The Biscuit Factory can even help you spread the cost of Christmas – buy your stocking fillers and those special somethings using Own Art: an interest-free, 10-month purchase scheme, available on purchases over £100.
3. THEY SERVE THEIR FESTIVE AFTERNOON TEA ON A ROOFTOP TERRACE
When: Saturday 20th November – Thursday 30th December
After all, for many (us included), a big part of the holiday season revolves around the return of our festive foodie faves. So, it would be rude not to at least check out what The Biscuit Factory are offering in The Factory Kitchen, (we promise you won’t be disappointed).
This rooftop independent café is absolutely full of artisanal winter warmers, handcrafted right here in The Factory Kitchen – and perhaps none more satisfying than their Festive Afternoon Tea offering. Think some of the finest sandwiches, scones and sweet treats in the North East, all embellished with uniquely seasonal twists and served on a rustic, feast-style platter.
Enjoy all this while gazing out over panoramic views across the Ouseburn in their heated rooftop terrace. After all, it is Christmas.Book a Table
4. THEIR EXHIBITIONS WILL GIVE YOU A HEALTHY HELPING OF LOCAL PRIDE
When: From Saturday 20th November
From Saturday 20th November, we can enjoy a headline exhibition by local artist Anthony Marshall – whose vibrant, expressive landscapes and cityscapes celebrate everything we love about the North East, and beyond.
Anthony’s collection of original paintings and limited-edition prints will be complimented by a myriad of other artists and craftspeople who, together, will be showcasing the best of contemporary British creativity at The Biscuit Factory this winter.
5. CHRISTMAS SHOPPING IS MADE EASY, LOCAL, PERSONAL AND ENJOYABLE
Avoid the hustle and bustle of high street stores, packed car parks and long queues this festive season and escape to The Biscuit Factory. Dressed in twinkling fairy lights and foliage to bring that little bit of Christmas magic to their surroundings, The Biscuit Factory gives festive shoppers looking for a different experience the opportunity to shop local, support independent makers, and choose thoughtful, unique gifts for their loved ones from a huge array of original, handcrafted pieces.
You don’t have to be ‘in the know’ with your local artisans, either. The Biscuit Factory has a super-relaxed and friendly atmosphere, where you’re welcomed in to browse their collections of original art, handmade jewellery, locally-made crafts, art prints, homewares and the carefully curated Book Hus by Forum Books in your search for some of the most perfect presents going, (and maybe a little treat for yourself, too). Think thoughtful Christmas shopping, made easy.
It’s made easier by the fact that shoppers can take advantage of the Own Art scheme, which spreads the cost of any original art or craft purchases of £100 or more over 10 interest-free monthly payments. So, you don’t have to become cash-strapped to fill those stockings.
Not that it’s all about shopping here. When you’re ready for a break from your retail therapy, escape to The Factory Kitchen and enjoy the most festive, flavoursome foodie treats from their daily menu, or indulge in a delicious artisanal Festive Afternoon Tea while your purchases are being carefully packaged by the gallery team.
Open seven days a week and located just a mile from Newcastle City Centre at the top of the Ouseburn Valley, The Biscuit Factory is easily accessible by road and sits on the borders of Shieldfield, Jesmond and Heaton. Manors and Jesmond metro stations are also within a short walking distance and the gallery has ample free parking surrounding it.
6. THE VARIETY – HERE’S HLN’S TOP PICKS
The sheer amount of quality artwork, crafts, jewellery and homeware at The Biscuit Factory is exceptional.
Here are our top picks: