Get Wagamama’s chicken katsu curry at home
The ultimate Japanese comfort food secret recipe.
For the sauce:
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2.3 piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 100ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
For the dish:
- 120g rice (any type)
- Katsu curry sauce (see above)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 50g plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 75ml vegetable oil for deep frying
- 40g mixed salad leaves
For the sauce, start to soften the onions, garlic and ginger. Then add curry powder, turmeric. Allow to sit on a low to medium heat. Add the flour, cook for 1 minute with the spices. Add the chicken stock slowly, followed by the 100ml coconut milk. Add a pinch of sugar, salt and dash of soy sauce.
Split chicken fillets in half and coat in flour. Soak each one in egg, then dip into breadcrumbs. Make sure all sides of the chicken are covered, then put into the pan. Cook fillets until golden brown.
Strain curry sauce through a sieve, a little bit at a time.
Slice the chicken into lengths and plate up next to the rice. Add salad or wok-fried greens to the plate alongside, then drench in curry sauce. Serve hot and enjoy!