Mid-week meal: Vegan curry
Beetroot and cauliflower curry with raita and a delicious dukkha to dip your flatbread into...
For the dukkha seasoning:
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 50g hazelnuts, though other nuts also work
- 50g sesame seeds
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
Roast the nuts and seeds till they’re a rich nut-brown colour, then leave to cool. Blitz in a processor until they are a coarse grit-like texture, then mix with the salt. Keep in an airtight container – it will last for a few weeks.
For the vegan curry:
- 2 large golden beets, grated
- 1 head of cauliflower, divided into florets
- 1 carrot, diced
- Bunch of coriander
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mix of Moroccan/North African spices
- Dash of apple juice
- 400ml almond milk
- Handful of almonds
- Can of chickpeas, save the water for an egg white substitute.
- Dash of ground nut oil
Sweat off the spices in the oil with the onions, then add the vegetables. Add the liquid ingredients and simmer. Add the nuts and chickpeas. Continue heating until the vegetables are just cooked, (usually 20mins, but this will be dependent on the size of the veg). Add the coriander prior to serving.
For the raita:
- Cucumber, deseeded grated and salted
- 20 leaves of parsley or coriander, chopped
- 10 mint leaves, shredded
- Finely-chopped chilli
- 1/2 coconut cream
- Zest of 1/2 lime and squeeze of juice
Mix all the ingredients together, then chill until you serve.