Masterchef 2019 champion Irini Tzortzoglou shares her quick soda, Guinness and walnut bread recipe
Bake like a master (chef) this St Patrick’s Day
SODA, GUINNESS AND WALNUT BREAD
‘I love the maltiness that the Guinness gives here,’ says Irini. ‘Its light bitterness balanced by the honey.
‘I used a strong flavoured honey too, like oak or pine, but you could use any good quality, real honey.
‘I also used a Shipton Mill organic Irish soda bread flour, but you could substitute with 200g strong white flour and 50g oatmeal.’
What you’ll need:
- 250g organic Irish soda bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g walnuts, chopped into small pieces
- 175g Greek yogurt
- 50ml milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 25ml reduced Guinness (the result of 50ml Guinness gently boiled until reduced)
What you do:
- Preheat your oven to 220 0 C.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the Greek yoghurt, milk, honey and reduced Guinness and give it all a good stir.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and work gently to create a soft dough.
- Shape it in a ball and place it on a lined baking tray. Cut an incision in the shape of a cross and bake for 25 minutes.
Enjoy with a warm bowl of soup! Happy St Patrick’s Day!